Holyhead and Anglesey in Wales


Holyhead is the largest town on the Isle of Anglesey which is a county in North Wales. While it is the largest town in the county with population of over 11,000 it is not actually on the island, but on ‘Holy Island’ on it’s western coast. Holy Island was originally connected to Anglesey by “Four Mile Bridge” (which is not the length of the bridge, but the fact it was four miles away from Holyhead on the old turnpike Road). Holyhead is a major Irish Sea port, serving Ireland with a frequent passenger ferry service to Dublin.

In the mid nineteenth century, the local philanthropist Lord Stanley paid for the construction of a large causeway known as “The Cobb” which now carries the railway and the main A5 road. The A55 dual carriageway runs alongside the Cobb on a modern causeway.

Holyhead town centre is built around St. Cybi’s Church, built inside one of Europe’s few three-walled Roman forts. The fourth wall was once the sea which used to come up to the base of the fort but has now receded. The Romans also built a watchtower on the top of Holyhead Mountain inside the prehistoric hillfort called “Mynydd y Twr”. The area contains the highest concentration of circular huts, burial chambers and standing stones in Britain

The rocks known as “South Stack” house the current lighthouse on the other side of Holyhead Mountain. This is now open to the public.

Anglesey / Ynys Môn

The name “Anglesey” is derived from Old Norse, meaning either “Hook Island” or “Ǫngli's Island”, the name was used by Viking raiders as early as the 10th century and later by the Normans during their invasions of Gwynedd.

Anglesey’s Welsh name of “Ynys Môn” was first recorded in Roman Times. Other names have included “Ynys Dywyll” (“Shady” or “Dark Isle”) for its former groves and “Ynys y Cedairn” (“Isle of the Brave”).
Stacks Image 1181
Plas Newydd
Stacks Image 1149
Parys Mountain, Anglesey

Copyright © 2018 Ian King - MSS Studios - Designed by Website.Wales.